This is so exciting! I am thrilled to be participating in Passports with Purpose again. Last year was my first year, and I loved being part of the team that helped raise more than $110,000 to build new wells in Haiti. And hey, there were prizes…lots and lots of cool prizes! Read on for this year’s fundraising, including the Napa Valley prize pack I’m giving away.
There are three things that really get me excited about this project:
1) the prizes are unbelievable–just seeing what people will win for donating to a good cause makes me happy, but hearing from friends who actually won last year made it even better!
2) the ability to use this platform for the greater good is very rewarding for me, and
3) the projects that Passports with Purpose supports are ones that produce real, tangible results. This year’s project is no different.
What is Passports with Purpose? And what will they do this year?
Passports with Purpose is an annual event, a team effort that runs from November 26-December 9. This year bloggers, a number of generous sponsors, and many sponsors of prizes are teaming up to raise money for a very worth cause. This year’s goal is to raise $115,000 to construct three schools and fund three adult literacy programs in the Sikasso region of southern Mali, Africa.
As an educator and a parent, I strongly support children and adults in a poor area getting access to basic education, which not only helps secure their futures but, possibly just as important, allows for community building through constructing the schools together and creating a place to learn and grow together. This is an effort that will have long-lasting effects; just as last year with the construction of wells in Haiti through Passports with Purpose fundraising, this year’s project is one that will make a permanent impact on the community.
Who will build these schools? In other words, what charity exactly is Passports with Purpose raising money for?
This year’s charity is called buildOn. I have to admit that I didn’t know about them until now, but when I read about them, I felt even more excited about participating in Passports with Purpose this year. You can learn much more about buildOn here, but let me share with you some information about this wonderful charity:
- buildOn’s mission is to “break the cycle of poverty, illiteracy and low expectations through service and education”
- builds has been building schools in the world’s poorest regions for more than 20 years because they know that education helps increase economic stability, sustainability of a community, and democracy while dramatically decreasing poverty and child mortality.
- buildOn has built more than 200 schools in southern Mali, which have served more than 24,000 students. Mali is the 5th poorest country in the world and has a very low literacy rate, just over 30% for men and 20% for women.
- buildOn includes the community in its building projects, so local adults volunteer to help build the schools. Education is aimed at both children and adults. Adults learn to read, write, and do basic math, and learn about family planning and other important life skills.
- buildOn requires that community members agree to send boys and girls to school in equal numbers so that girls don’t get left behind.
What about those prizes?!
I can’t wait to start donating and entering to win the array of fab prizes (donate here!)…for every $10 donation you make, you will be entered to win the prize of your choice. I’m elated to add this one to the list of available prizes: a 2-night stay at the beautiful Napa River Inn in downtown Napa, Napa Valley, California. The stay for two adults at this luxury hotel includes a spa treatment and breakfast at Sweetie Pie’s, the lovely bakery adjacent to the hotel. Keep reading for more enticing details…
I’ve visited the hotel twice but have not stayed there…yet. It is exactly the kind of place that I love. The Napa River Inn is connected to the history of this special town. It celebrates what makes it unique, from the garden-front and riverfront rooms to the historic rooms in the original 19th century building.
The hotel is the only Michelin-rated hotel in Napa. It is a historic inn, spread out over 2.5 acres and three beautiful but unique buildings, including a late 19th century mill.
The Napa River Inn is located on the Napa Riverfront, a thriving area in Napa Valley. The riverfront includes Morimoto (the super-chic restaurant of Iron Chef Morimoto) as well as other fine restaurants, an art gallery, a gelato shop, and a jazz club, just steps from the inn.
Visitors can walk to world-class restaurants and a whole downtown full of wine tasting rooms, cafes, boutiques, and other attractions. I love a good walking town, and Napa certainly is one. But hey, the wineries and hillside vineyards of Napa Valley are just minutes away.
So, how can you donate and enter to win a fabulous prize?
1. Simply click here, check out the prizes, and start donating and choosing the prizes you want to be entered for.
2. Spread the word. Tell your friends and family around the world. Please help get the word out so that we can get rid of these great prizes, raise our goal of $115,000 by December 9, and build on the momentum of last year’s smashing success.
3. Remember that you can donate as many times as you’d like. Prizes close on December 9, but donations will be taken after that (a great gift idea for the holidays!). If you win a prize, you will be notified in December.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Thank you to the Napa River Inn for generously donating this wonderful prize to Passports with Purpose.
A huge thank you to all the sponsors who help make Passports with Purpose happen: Expedia (platinum sponsor); DK Eyewitness Travel—DK Eyewitness Guides and Rough Guides (gold); TBEX (silver sponsor); HomeAway, HostelBookers, Go With Oh, and Eating London (bronze sponsors). Your generosity is appreciated by so many!
Thank you to my readers, without whom I would not be able to host a prize like this. You are the ones that make this blog run, so thank you to each and every one of you.
If you donate, please leave a comment and let me know which prize you chose to enter to win, and if you end up winning, come back and let me know!